Sunday 2 September 2012

Constellation cupcakes

It was my brother-in-law's birthday a couple of weeks ago, but for various reasons, his birthday celebration was postponed until last night.  One of his passions is astronomy, and he's very good at setting up his telescope to gaze at the stars, so I incorporated this into his birthday cake (well, cakes, actually!)
Each of the blue cakes has a contellation of stars piped onto it in white - there's Orion, Gemini, Cassiopeia, the Crux (Southern Cross), Scorpius, Ursa Major and Ursa Minor, Taurus, Pisces, Leo and Sagittarius.

The cupcakes are made from a Red Velvet mix from Suzie Q (which, honestly, was not what I expected - they were very nice, but from my experience, red velvet cake is red and slightly chocolate flavoured.  These were not very red - much more brown from the chocolate - and they had a raspberry flavouring in them!)  I made cream cheese frosting and coloured half of it blue (VERY blue - people ended up looking like blue tongued lizards!  For those of you not in Australia, yes, there is such a thing as a blue tongued lizard!  http://www.itsnature.org/ground/reptiles-land/blue-tongued-lizard/ ) I sprinkled some edible glitter onto all of the cakes (which looked very effective under the downlights in my sister and brother-on-law's kitchen!) On the white ones, I added some sugar cachoux, and I piped stars onto the blue ones, in the shapes of some constellations :)
 And here's Paul pointing out which is which!  ("That's Orion!")


Giving credit where credit is due, the idea came from
 http://helpinglittlehands.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/easy-constellation-cupcakes-space-party.html
and 
http://pinterest.com/pin/189643834278549832/

3 comments:

  1. what a lucky fellow he is and a very clever sister-in-law! These cupcakes are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - they always make my day!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) in the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.